Much has been accomplished over the last several months as we seek to achieve optimal health care for animals. Here are the highlights:
Research is Underway: What are the true benefits of collaborative care for primary care veterinarians, for specialists, and most importantly, for pets?
Understanding what motivates or hinders referral and collaboration will allow us to demonstrate through data, the actual effects of a team approach to care. Are patients ultimately healthier? Are practices? Are clients more loyal?
Research has been divided into three phases.
- Phase 1 – Referral dynamics – a first-of-its-kind comprehensive literature review and white paper including perspectives from all veterinary industry stake-holders with input from the human and dental field. This is intended to help identify key gaps in collaborative patient care data and then direct subsequent outreach efforts (completion May 2015).
- Phase 2 – Qualitative analysis – statistically explore the economic and medical benefits such collaboration provides to: veterinary clients, general practitioners and specialists. (beg. June 2015).
- Phase 3 – Quantitative analysis – drivers and barriers to collaboration; myth vs. fact – actual benefits of collaboration.
Support is Growing
As an industry-wide initiative, VetSOAP has begun to actively reach out to the specialty colleges, veterinary associations, industry, universities, veterinarians, and veterinary practices, to garner both endorsements and financial backing. We have a strong base of support which continues to expand.
- Recent endorsements – ACVS, ACVD, AAHA, ACVECC, ACVIM
- Participating sponsors – AAHA, ACVD, ACVS, Aratana, BluePearl, BluePrints, Covidien, Live Oak Bank, Royal Canin, VCA, Zoetis, and several specialty practices.